Friday, January 24, 2014

Word Choice in "Waltz"

There seem to be two general opinions as to the circumstances in T. Roethke's "My Papa's Waltz." Some view it as a boy having a fun "romp" with his father, a nice memory. Others see the poem as a possible description of abuse.


When I first came across the poem, my initial opinion was of the latter. There is no mistaking Roethke's consistent use of rough sounding words such as "battered," "scraped," "knuckle," "buckle," and "beat" in the third and fourth stanzas.


The use of so many harsh words made it hard for me to believe this waltz was always fun. The title perhaps gives something away as well. It is not "Me and My Father's Waltz." The waltz belongs solely to his father.


However, I think this is a perfect example of a poem that you can read too much into, or not enough. It almost stays neutral when he uses to playful term "We romped until the pans / Slid from the kitchen shelf." If I am to retain my theory of abuse, it is difficult to explain why the child went to bed "Still clinging" to his father's shirt (though it could be done).


But maybe it's just best to let this poem waltz, and let each reader make their own conclusions. I really want this to be a fond memory of a father and son. Such believing is not easy!







No comments:

Post a Comment